Pokémon Musicals are a new feature in Pokémon Black/White that replace the contests of previous generations. They are a lot less involved than contests but do require some strategy and participating in them is required for completionists.
Why Participate In Pokémon Musicals?
Your participation in Pokémon Musicals is entirely optional to the story. You could go through the entire game without entering a musical; however they are a fun distraction and you need to obtain all 100 props to get a Star on your Trainer Card.
Pokémon Musical Categories
There are four categories you may enter. The category you choose is important as you will want to match your props to the category type to win. Check below for a list of all the props sorted by category.
|Stardom (Charming Munna)||Cool||Men|
|A Sweet Soirée||Elegant||Women|
How To Win Pokémon Musicals
There is not as much strategy to Pokémon Musicals as contests but this can make it all the more frustrating as you need to win at least 5 and then 30 Musicals in order to obtain a prop. The following below is a general guideline of tips to use; it can seem almost random at times whether you win or not but just keep trying.
- Match your props to the Musical category and pack on as many props as possible. Having a Pokémon with arms to hold two appeal props is practically mandatory.
- The timing of your appeals has a huge influence on your score. The best time to appeal is when the spotlight focuses on the individual Pokémon and at the very end of the musical. Try to wait and steal the spotlight away from the CPU at the end here as if they go after you they will get the appeal and not you.
- You will know an appeal went well when the spotlight was focused on your Pokémon throughout the entire appeal animation and the crowd claps for you at the end.
- The Pokémon jumping highest into the air in the photo at the end of the musical at the end is the one that won the musical. It is possible for there to be more than one winner.
After the musical you get a chance to speak to your fans in the lobby. It is recommended that you do so as they will sometimes give you extra props. The higher you place, the more fans show and the better your chances of them giving you props is but you may still be given props even if you place last.
The following is a list of all one hundred props sorted by category. Most props are simply given out by audience members in the lobby after a musical, but a few are found at specific places. The Crown and Winner’s Belt count overall wins, not consecutive wins thankfully.
- Crown: Win 5 musicals.
- Winner’s Belt: Win 30 musicals.
- Tiara: Given by the theatre owner after competing in a multiplayer musical, either Wi-Fi or locally.
- Toy Cake: Given by the theatre owner on the player’s birthday (registered on your Nintendo DS).
- Electric Guitar: from Musician Preston on Route 5 after defeating him.
- Big Bag, Fluffy Beard, Gift Box, Scarlet Hat: One given each day by a man in the western most house in Opelucid City.
|Image||Prop||Category||Primary placement||Secondary placement|
|White Domino Mask||Cool||Face||-|
|Toy Fishing Rod||Cool||Arm||-|
|White Pom Pom||Cute||Arm||Body|
|Smiley Face Mask||Quirky||Face||Arm|