I'm Playing White!

Discuss the Generation V handheld games here.

Moderator: Forum staff

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Custom Title: The Dark Trainer
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 438184851741

I'm Playing White!

Post by WhoKnows_WhoCares »

Ok, so my copy of pokemon white came today. to prove i have a copy, see this link

Because some fansites have been hit by Nintendo of America's lawyers (who think they'll be losing money somehow), i wont be posting pictures beyond the one above... that said, i'm going to try and keep a brief journal on the game (and if anybody remembers 4 years ago with Diamond and Pearl you may rememeber it didnt last long) - i'll take bets on how long i'll keep up this journal and actuall playing the game (vote in number of gyms)

Ok, so i took votes in the IRC room and it was decided i'm starting with the Grass starter, Tsutarja. So that's who i'm starting with.

So first up, the general talk and i get to name my character, interestingly i dont get to name my rivals this time... after the whole conversation, it starts off in Spring, in your house where after a conversation you get to pick your starter

interestingly - you can see who's in which pokeball (on the bottom screen) as the starters hang abover them on the top screen - touching the pokeball you want makes them jump forward into the spotlight

after you chose - its battle time - first with belle (the girl) with the type your good against, then against Cherren (the guy) with the type your week against.

Interestingly, on the bottom screen, the general battle layout is the same, although redesigned into more of a pokeball shape. It also displays the time and a Wi-fi signal, if you have one.

Battle camera is awesome... cannot describe it in words - find it on youtube to see it.

so i win the matches, room is trashed and now i start walking around till i find where i'm suppose to go next - as you do!

they seemed to have cut the feature where you walk into a sign and automatically read that... if thats a good thing or not is up to you - when you go into a house, the camera zooms in a bit as you walk in a door before you see the interior

Menu doesnt display constantly on the bottom screen by the looks of it (at least at this point in the game) the old 'press x for menu' still works, menu is displayed on the bottom screen though.

Sweet, just got the pokedex, i have currently seen 3 pokemon and caught 1... well i have just started

so after getting a town map from mother, we finally head out of town where the prof teaches us how to catch a pokemon... and then gives us our obligitory gift of pokeballs for watching something we've known how to do for 10 years now... afterward my friends walk off, and i'm exploring on my own...

first pokemon i encounter is the first one i wanted to get anyway, a level 4 female yorterri - i'm a happy trainer right now - strangly however, you can only nickname a pokemon up to 5 letters... a lot smaller than i remeber being able to do in previous games. [NOTE: Someone confirmed to me that this is just the Japanese versions as they need less letters for names, I wasnt 100% sure when i wrote this, so i mentioned it anyway. Dont worry, English Versions should have more letters to nickname pokes]

at the end of a route, we get a call on this new comunication system from the prof - making a 4 way convo... its kind of cool, because everyones a bit animated - eyes blink and lips move... its really kind of cool, but a bit novel at the same time

prof gives me a tour around the pokecenter at the next town, and with the marts inside the centers now, i top up on pokeballs after healing up.

Upon leaving, there seems to be a bit of a crowd gather looking at something. I go to investigae (i can tell i have to do that anyway) and it looks like team plazma giving a sermon....eairy music says this isnt a happy, cheary bunch of people. Once they leave, crowd disapates and who should be hiding there, but N - who introduces himself to me, and then challenges me to a battle. i win, but only just - interestingly when your health hits the red, the music changes to a more 'PANIC' kind of music, as soon as its back in the yellow though (though health, or in my case leveling up) it ges back to normal music.

in the gate going out of town, there's an information screen, which you can view and zoom into. There's only pictures on the screen, but there's a scroller above it that may be giving out information.

upon leaving town i get a call from mother, who shows up behind me and hands me the running shoes - nice!

first generic trainers are on route 2... time to get some good exp

Caught a level 5 Chorenko - my team's picking up... well team-mates

looks like the stats screen actually let you know which stat is increase and which is decreased via nature on the stats screen, with red highlighted being boosted while the blue is decreased

trying to leave route 2 - belle catches up to me and challenges me to a battle... well ok, i'm game if she's a glutton for punishment. she heads back into route 2 - probably for more training (she needs it) and i head into the next city. Looks like there's a gym to the right of the pokecenter, but its blocked by somebody right now. I need to heal and unfortunatly i need to sleep too... end of today's playing i'm afraid - so is this my last entry or the first of many... you can make your guesses all you want.

Any questions about Black and white, ask away - i'll try to answer
Member of the Umbreon Club - PM pikapower06 to Join.

Thanks to miradapurple for creating my cool avatar.

Pokémon Pearl FC: Ace/4381 8485 1741

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Re: I'm Playing White!

Post by cheerio495 »

darn you beat me to the punch.... I was just going to post that I got black... haven't started it yet since I was at school all day.

edit: I can't really prove that I have Black unless I use my sister's, mom's, and dad's camera.... I am an honest person and won't lie about something stupid as this.

*Minezumi does a lot of damage to you... at least it has against my starter Tsutarja*
First to have: Ledian, Venomoth, and Persain

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Don't worry about proving it, I believe you've got a copy. I know Robert on the forums is also getting Black.

Is that the first trainer on route 2 your on about, I remember he did a fair amount of damage to me as well.

I can't wait to finish work today. Well I can't wait to finish anyway, but today's reason I can't wait is because I want to go home and play this more.

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City

Post by cheerio495 »

(my dad ordered both games and he is playing white)thanks :)

it was some wild lv4 poke (my starter was at lv6)

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Just goes to show how annoying critical's can be...

Right, back to the playing - probably going to grind a bit in this chapter, so dont expect too many bullet points. My squad at the moment is Yorterri lv 9, Tsutarja lv 9 and Chorenko lv 5

First thing i did, however, was download the liberty ticket - real easy and now i can get Victini later on (maybe), interestingly the postman who gives you your gifts now stand opposite the main Pokemart part of the Pokecenter, just to the Left of the door.

I explore the town first, interestingly, there are houses with the doors on the side as apposed to all facing down - you can still go into those, buy walking up the steps leading into the door, the camera shifts at an angle so you can see better as you walk in. there are still buildings without doors though... and despite trying, there is no way to get into them. a few of the headges in the gardens to the west of the city look a bit like pikachu. Coincidence?

Gyms on the right of the pokemon center, but on the left looks like the obligatory school building where they explain all those terms you know off by heart when you've been playing these games a while... Still, Cherren is standing by the blackboard and its battle time!

after beating up my old friend, dento is standing outside the gym in place of the old guy who was there, brief convo and he heads inside - gonna grind for a while, build up my chorenko at least to the same level as the others, maybe increasing the others by a couple. i'll edit this later if i go further later tonight, otherwise this is pretty much the end of todays playing

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City

Post by cheerio495 »

I have a question about downloading the liberty ticket. Well unfortunately I can't read japanese so I am uable to tell where to go to download it. I thought I would try and select the wifi slot on the main menu, but I am unsure where to go from there.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

pick the menu tab ABOVE the one that says wi-fi. on the new screen, pick the first option... after that pick the one that says wi-fi... just pick the top option any other time if needed, that will download the ticket for you

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City

Post by cheerio495 »

just wanted to add that I thought the same thing about those bushes (looking like pikas). I also got my first badge today, before having to leave to go to school. It's in the same city that you are currently in.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Yeah, i know - read on and i'll explain more...

Right, played for about an hour and a half last night leveling up, but was too tired to continue so had to give it up. Current team looks like this Yorterri: Lv10, Tsutarja Lv10, Choroneko Lv 10 and my newly caught Minezumi (which i caught while grinding) Lv8.

First thing i'm going to do, attempt the Gym. I know from reading around the web that the Gym leader you face depends on what starter you start with. You face the elemental monkey that's strong against your type, since i started with the grass type, i'll be facing the Fire Monkey Baoppu, meaning i want to rely on my Yorterri for the match. With a boost in its defense stat as well (and a rubbish special attack, but she doesnt have any special attack moves, lucky me), it should last longer than my Coroneko (which unfortunatly has a very low and hindered defense stat), which will be back up and my Minezumi bringing up the rear (only due to its level) - i want to avoid Tsuarja if possible, but you never know how these matches turn out.

As soon as i walk in, the guy who was the blocking the door originally gives me a healing item, there's also a woman behind a counter to the left, but i dont know what she's doing there (sorry, did i forget to mention i still can't read japanese?). on the floor are the 3 symbols, grass water and fire - and there's a curtain with the fire symbol on it. i'm guessing that's because i'm going to face the fire gym leader and that curtain changes depending on your starter choice. Nope, turns out i was wrong on that assumption. So the symbol on the curtain is a clue - you have to step on the switch on the floor that is a type advantage against that symbol. As i stepped on the grass switch i got the the big 'X' sound, where as when i tried the water one, the curtain opened up.

There's a trainer in the next room, gonna beat him then open the next curtain (which has a water symbol on it) and ouch his yorterri hit mine hard. Shifted to Tsutarja for the remainder of the match, well almost, it did KO at the end Tried my Yorterri again, thankfully it managed to win an pick up the full exp - very helpful. Back to the PokeCenter for a heal and back to the gym. 2nd trainer and i'm seriously considering more grinding. after the 3rd curtain, i get introduced to all 3 of the gym leaders, before they decide who i fight, and its game time... wish i saved just before the match... oh well

he starts out with a level 12 Yorteri himself (mines now at level 12, by the way), it goes down with little trouble and boosts my Yorteri to lv13... Now comes Baoppu. Music changes to something a bit more dramitc battle like - in fact smash bros players will recongnise part of it as the Pokemon Stadium music... I dont get to hear it long before i'm hurting bad and the music goes to its 'Danger, you're about to die' music - thankfully i have potions, and since the opponent used something on his Yorteri - i dont feel so bad to use one myself (not that it would have stoped me anyway). unfortunatly that fire attack is painful and i'm slower than Baoppu is. I'm back in the red just as soon as i am ready to attack again - I heal again, but i'm expecting the opponent to heal too now he's in the red. He doesnt and my next bite attack gives me my first Gym Badge...

Like a Zelda game, the badge floats center stage on screen before going into the badge case (case even opens up too) I also get a TM... one i have no idea what it is unless i look it up somewhere - which i'll do later. I do know its a normal attack though... i can tell symbols apart!!! I'd forgot this place was suppose to be a resturant until i was leaving... that explains why the Gym leaders are dressed as waiters, as is one of the trainers (the others a maid) - also explains the usless girl behind the desk near the door... she's where you pay your bill.

Leaving the gym Intorduces me to Prof's friend, Morokono (i think that's her name... she's the one who will hand out the c-gear to me at some point) She takes me to her place, and talks me through some stuff. OH and hands me Cut - very helpful! I teach it to Choroneko right now.

I try cut on the previous route, as i'd seen a tree there. There's only a couple of items behind it... still, free items are free items. I then leave via the north east exit of town, in some trees (some guy is stopping me through the gardens, so that's obviously not the way to go.)

So heading out, i battle a couple of trainers and then meet some kid, i always answer yes to anything since i dont understand what's being said and hey presto, i get myslef a Water Monkey Hiyappu. Awesome!

As soon as i cut through the tree to ender the ruined building lot, belle shows up - after annoying me with conversation i cant read, i head on in futher and find a munna sitting out in the open... i knew something was too easy, out pop team plazma to ruin all the fun. One even physically attacks Munna - well I've had alls i can stand and i cant standfs no more, so i'm going to take him down a peg or two. His buddy isnt happy i just wooped the guy, so he now steps up to play... angry i beat them both... they then take it out on poor little munna again. until something weird happens and their boss just magically apears... must be saying something important, the goons run off after this. and their boss disapears quicker than he apeared, while Musharna apears from rount the corner. MAJOR conversation later (where Prof's friend shows up) the two pokemon go off into the sunset (or at least off screen). they leave behind an item which the Profs friend got very excited about, took and ran off. Guess i'm heading back after her. First though, there's some grass in the area - so i'm off hunting for any more new pokemon.

Munna is found wild in the area, so i grab one. Didnt see anything interesting, and again i'm feeling tired - so i head back to the Prof's friend. She hands me the C-Gear... now wi-fi and stuff is available to me... i think anyway. C-gear is always on the bottom screen, although there is a power button if you think its wasting too much power, or you think its pointless being on. there's 3 circles of 6 hexagons each, with 3 filled in (IR on the left cricle, WI-Fi on the center one and Wirless on the right hand one. That said, you can move them around if you want. I Also get my Pal Pad at the same time, and now have my Friend code... well it may be usefull Further down the line.

Its a heal, save and quit for now job i'm afraid - work is draining me a lot at the moment, so i cant seem to put the hours in I want to on the game. Hopefully over the weekend I'll get a decent session in

manandspaniel
Viridian Forest

Post by manandspaniel »

Geez it`s very hard for me to know what the pokemon look like when all the names are japanese luckily It`s coming out in other countrys soon so then ill get it hopefully in english! :-D very much money in kroner for a game really escpecially to import it t norway!
Image trainer card made by Undead!

Snorlax and the new fire starter and bidoof is unappreciatated! The others ecspecially chimchar and mr mime are a bunch of superfragilisticexpialidocious!!!

Lawl to find superfragilisticexpialidocious i had to search on google!

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Ok - I havent forgotten this, just been going through some stuff lately that's meant i've not been able to play games in general, let alone one in japanese. Anyway - robert (who's in our irc room under the name '[' at the moment) now has black and has pretty much caught me up, and i'm guessing cheerio is way ahead of the both of us - so i'm going to try and get through as much as possible over the weekend.

As usual, i post my curret squad first, so it is: Chorenko lv 10, Tsutarja lv 11, Yorterri lv 14, Hiyappu lv 10, Minezumi Lv 10 and Munna Lv 10

Right, if i recall, i was heading out of here - only exist i know about is where the guy was blocking me in the garden, so i'm gonna try that way first. I leave the pokemon center and hey look, 1st of October is today... seasons change into summer - nice. nothing looks too different, except the sun seems a little brighter and oranger... anyway, onwards on my quest.

Route 3 and the first battle i run into is a couple of twins with Corenkos... First double battle in the game for me... no main differences to how these worked in previous games. Looks like the Day Care is here just up the steps. Also another couple of trainers near the house right by the daycare - no idea what's going on there, but there's a lot of girls who look the same and kids too... Robert just pointed something out in the IRC room of something i'd never seen yet - that sleeping sprites actually close thier eyes... second i say i've never seen it, i put my opponet to sleep after experimenting with Munna's moves (she's got yawn by the looks of it)

Woops - pressed the wrong button and meant my Chorenko didnt learn fury swipes... well, could have been a better move i forgot instead

There's a slide in the garden with a few trainers... you can walk up the steps... you also walk down the slide as well, cant be too slipper then.

As i head further into route 3 - cherren shows up for a battle - well sure, i got some time to beat him to a pulp!

as soon as i beat him, a couple of plazma grunts run thorugh, then belle and some kid show up, conversation is passed around and cherren runs off - why do i get the feeling i'll be bailing him out soon?

Found a Mamepato - catch it, but i've already got 6 in my party, it will go to my box until i hit the pokemon center - then i'll replace minezumi with it.

I head off after cherren, mainly because i cant head on the south path - belle wont let me. I find cherren outside a cave, after a breif convo, we head in and tackle the gunts, not in a double battle though - just one on one. after i beat mine and cheren beats his - 2 more show up and we face those together in a double battle. once they're gone, i explore the cave for items and new pokemon. I bag a Koromori and a Dangoro, but there isnt a lot to explore until i get surf, so backtracking i go.

i am forced to have a convo with belle and the kid (was trying to run past them back to the pokemon center - a heal would be nice. afterwards the leave. i heal at the last town and then head down that south route i couldnt go down before. Back at the pokemon center, i switch out Minezumi and Munna for Mamepato and Dangoro. Dangoro was holding an item - an everstone... not helpful since i WANT it to evolve - well its bagged now.

one thing i've noticed about summer, the night takes longer to set in than it did in spring... nice touch.

cheren is hiding (badly) in some darker grass. soon as i apear he jumps out and says stuff to me - i think it has to do with the fact that this is the kind of grass you can get wild double battles with - so i'm going hunting just to experiance one. and i do - with 2 zebraika - so i catch one. Like in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - you need to KO one of the pokemon before you can catch the other one.

I make my way through route 3 to the next town, where cheren meets me and leads me further into town, and hands me some more berries. i search the town, get a thunderstone from a girl (i think its a thunderstone) and then head to the gym, where N is leaving. Well i got to battle the guy, so i do. after beating him sensless - he walks off, i heal and head to take on the gym.

Gym is in the back of a museam, i get a tour of the place by some scientist, but he knows why i'm there and leaves me at the entrance to the gym itself. Again, i'm given a bottle of fresh water when i enter the gym - kind of cool they give you a decent healing item (well, decent at this stage of the game). the gym itself looks like a library, which we're battleing in the middle off... guess they dont take the whole 'silence' thing to seriously around here. there's a puzzle with pulling books - you've got to pick a book on one of the shelfs, pick the right shelf and one of the helpers turns around to pull the book of their shelf. rinse and repeat until you battle with one of them. after you beat both helpers, the last bookcase moves to reveal a hidden passage... the gym leader is down there.

i know its going to be a tough match - i have nothing super effective against normal types (the gym's specialisim) and i'm underleveled. I did save before this match though, so the plan is if i lose, i'll grind some more tomorrow. If i win, i'll save and quit and play more tomorow... maybe with a bit of grinding thrown in for good messure anyway.

Anole (the leader) has 2 pokemon, starting off with a level 18 Haderia (evolved form of yorterri) - my level 13 Dangoro barely makes a dent with headbut, and even with his awesome defence he doesnt last long. the rest of my evenly leveled team lasts about the same, it went down thanks to it using takedown, hurting itself for me (while KO'ing my own pokemon)... unfortunatly just as it was about to die the first time a full restore, full heal or whatever that filled its health to the max made this match basically impossible to win. I only just did it with about 3 HP on my yorterri, unfortunatly i knew that it wouldnt stand much chance against a level 20 Meerhog, and so i lost big time - so its a grinding session first thing tomorow...

Any questions or comments, as usuall just feel free to post

Rovay
Viridian Forest

Post by Rovay »

Grinding sessions... The only thing that could put me away from games for a long time if I really had to do them... Fortunately that was when I was younger. Nowdays I just clench my teeth and grind till it's enough. Well, I wish you luck in following battles and keeping your journal up to date.

"Be careful. First it's, I like you!, then ZAP! -Frog time."

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City

Post by cheerio495 »

I only skimmed through your posts so I may have missed this, but I am wondering if you have used the liberty ticket to get victini yet and if yes how were you able to do it?

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

sorry, dont think i've reached that part of the game yet... I Think you need to be in the big city from the trailers, and board a boat. i'll try and get on this game again tomorow or saturday (work is still draining my i'm afraid) - as soon as i can get that far and get it, i'll post it here and let you know

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City

Post by cheerio495 »

ok, thanks. I was just wondering, I've been really busy, like you, only with school so I haven't been able to play much either.