New Battle System

Discuss the Generation V handheld games here.

Moderator: Forum staff

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Custom Title: The Dark Trainer
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 438184851741

New Battle System

Post by WhoKnows_WhoCares »

Ok, so the only changes we know about is purly graphical, but wow, what a change.

Battles simply look more interesting to watch and a lot more realistic now. And its getting closer to how the console battle games are looking as well (could be a long time before they meet up though)

If you haven't seen the videos yet, they are found Here. Once you have seen them (or if you've seen them already) what are your thoughts?
Member of the Umbreon Club - PM pikapower06 to Join.

Thanks to miradapurple for creating my cool avatar.

Pokémon Pearl FC: Ace/4381 8485 1741

SonicKitsune
Cerulean City
Cerulean City
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Re: New Battle System

Post by SonicKitsune »

It just makes me want a full 3D system more, where action takes place at all angles and the Pokémon actually hit each other. But models for all 500+ Pokémon is hard to cram onto a card at the moment. Nintendo has the graphical power, it's just seeing if they come out with a media with enough storage for that plus a full game. It's neat how they all have different animations now. I'd like to see health-based idles and fainting animations as well.
Wikispaces|deviantART|Blog
:Cyndaquil: :Heracross: :Marill: SoulSilver - Ridge♂(Star)/To be determined
:Piplup: :Buizel: :Pachirisu: Diamond - Ridge!*/0516-3813-5126

bowendebop
Pallet Town

Post by bowendebop »

DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THEY'RE RUINING POKEMON! It's going to be hard to control and the new lengendaries look like freaks. I mean an illusion pokemon a pokemon that transforms into someone random STUPID!!!!!!!!!!(tendo)

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

bowendebop wrote:DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THEY'RE RUINING POKEMON! It's going to be hard to control
Why do you think it's going to be hard to control? The only changes they've shown are purely aesthetic, the fundamental battle system seems to remain the same as ever.

Favourites: :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Zangoose: :Drapion: Image

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City

Post by cheerio495 »

the 3d effect will probably look cool, I'm not to sure about the 3 on 3 battles that is going to be part of the game.... I really do not like that idea.
First to have: Ledian, Venomoth, and Persain

Taylor Rivaux
Viridian City

Post by Taylor Rivaux »

cheerio495 wrote: I'm not to sure about the 3 on 3 battles that is going to be part of the game.... I really do not like that idea.
Why don't you like it? if one of your pokemon get KO'd you have two more to take it's place!

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City

Post by cheerio495 »

Taylor Rivaux wrote:
cheerio495 wrote: I'm not to sure about the 3 on 3 battles that is going to be part of the game.... I really do not like that idea.
Why don't you like it? if one of your pokemon get KO'd you have two more to take it's place!
it seems that it is going to be way to complicated and will be taking the fun out that I have for pokemon.... there is just soooooo much to think of for strategies... it is getting to the point where you need to reliy more on luck than skill to win battles
First to have: Ledian, Venomoth, and Persain

MollyDJmaster
Vermilion City
Vermilion City

Post by MollyDJmaster »

Yeah, I agree. I've just heard more about it, and apparently there's all this if you're not in the middle, your attack will do blah blah blah malarke. Personally I think they should have just stuck to old school pokemon. Much more fun, in my opinion. :-?

Also, please click my and GPXPlus account creatures!
ImageImageImage

Kikyo
Saffron City
Saffron City
Custom Title: Krazy Kat

Post by Kikyo »

Yeah, I'm not too excited about the tree on three stuff either.
Seems like it'll be too much of a hassel, and ultimately rely too much on luck than skill.
Two on two was a great addition, but adding three on three now is just too much.
Image Image

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

its interesting how people are saying how this is going to be more luck than skill to win 3v3 matches when in fact they're being built to be more tactical for the hardcore battles, meaning its going to require more skill to win them.

people are forgetting that in Ruby and Sapphire, while you encountered 2v2 battles (which was introduced in those games), you didnt actually fight many of them over the course of the game - so all those of you who dont look forward to this new battle system, you probably wont have to worry about fighting too many of them

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

I'm surprised at these responses too. Three on three adds another layer of tactics to it which I'm sure the hardcore crowd will lap up. It was either Takeshi Kawachimaru or Junichi Masuda who was quoted in an interview as saying that each new game they tried to keep a balance of adding a layer of complexity to the games while still keeping them accessible to others who may not want to delve that deep and I think 3v3 is a perfect example of this.

Much like double battles did, I'm sure triple battles will change the face of competitive battling as brand new strategies are going to have to be formed. However like WhoKnows_WhoCares said I'm sure in game there won't be a huge emphasis on 3v3 battles and when there are they probably won't be any more difficult than regular battles.

Favourites: :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Zangoose: :Drapion: Image

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

seavicky95
Cinnabar Island
Cinnabar Island
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 468328574608

Post by seavicky95 »

In my personal opinion, the new battle system looks great! The graphics are gorgeous and I like how you can see your entire Pokemon from the back now. I've seen the videos and it appears that they've pulled off the animations quite smoothly, as well. I was afraid they would be too quick and shaky, as in the previous games.

Triple battles look amazing. It's clear that the programmers put some thought into the whole system, instead of just tossing extra Pokemon onto the screen. What with certain Pokemon not being able to reach others and the recent reveal of Acrobat, it's sure to make combat more interesting. However, my hope is that the creators won't ever introduce quadruple battles. At that point it would merely be a hassle.

dgdog1
Mt. Moon
Mt. Moon

Post by dgdog1 »

I really don't like the new battle system either, for example you have 3 strong pokemon, 1 lickylicky 1 snorelax, and 1 absol. Your opponet has 2 really horrible spoink, and a gengar about the same level as all your pokemon. Lets say that these are the only pokemon both of you have. Lets allso say that your absol is on the right, and the opponets gengar is on the opposite side of it( the side your absol can't attack)
your lickylicky and snorelax only know normal moves. even though you trained way harder than your opponet, you can't lay a finger on them. I just think this is kinda unfair. This game is probably gonna be the worst of all, yet I'm still gona buy it.
DUNSPARCE ARE UNAPPPRICIATED!!!!! Spoink are a bunch of ##^$@^#$^#

thanks for the card undead!

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

see even in that situation there's no problem, there's a handy little 'Move' button, allowing you to switch around where your team is placed - so you could easily move your abosl into the middle and cause major damage to all...

dgdog1
Mt. Moon
Mt. Moon

Post by dgdog1 »

oh, then I guess it's pretty cool.
DUNSPARCE ARE UNAPPPRICIATED!!!!! Spoink are a bunch of ##^$@^#$^#

thanks for the card undead!