My Sprite Edits

General forum for the discussion/showing off of art/sprites you have made. Preferably Pokémon-based, but it doesn't have to be!

Moderator: Forum staff

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Custom Title: The Dark Trainer
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 438184851741

My Sprite Edits

Post by WhoKnows_WhoCares »

I'm posting this more for archive purposes rather than to show them off (though i'll gladly do that anyway) - A year or two ago, TPC ran a competition to make up your own Gym. As one of the prizes for this competition, I edited a trainer sprite for each of them and made them each a badge - this was then presented in a section on the website (now unavailable since we're remaking the site). In making the 2008 christmas period banner for the forum boards (yup, that was me who made it), i made a few custome overworld trainer sprites (the kind you'd find standing around in the towns and gyms as you played the game). Having liked making the ones i made for the banner, i made ones for ALL the gym leader trainer sprites i made a while ago. So here, for archived pruposes more than showing off (though commnets very welcomed) are:

Top Row: Trainer Sprite
Middle Row: Gym Badge (if applicable)
Bottom Row: Overworld Sprite

(if you can't see the full image, click the picture to display it fully)

Again, for reference, the people are (from left to right)
LordLucario123 (Courage Badge), lucario (Purity Badge), seavicky95 (Night Badge), SonicKitsune (Shift Badge), Phantom4722 (Wing Badge), Pikachu90000 (Dranche Badge), Fallen2grace (Moonlit Evolve Badge), Shrine_Sprite & Kikyo (Teamwork Badge), pikapower06, AnnekaLily, WhoKnows_WhoCares, Pikachu3828

Edit: Edited picture with a new version of AnnekaLily trainer sprite, as one of the first (if not the actual first) sprite i did, it always seemed a bit lacking next to all the other ones i've made - so i've taken my experiance and re-aplied it to a new, and better version, of AnnekaLily.
Member of the Umbreon Club - PM pikapower06 to Join.

Thanks to miradapurple for creating my cool avatar.

Pokémon Pearl FC: Ace/4381 8485 1741

Shrine Sprite
Saffron City
Saffron City
Custom Title: Delinquent
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Re: My Sprite Edits

Post by Shrine Sprite »

Mmmm. Yes, that is delicious. Took me a while to notice mine was incorporated into banner. <_>
Does Roy plan to actually incorporate these into the RPG?

Kikyo
Saffron City
Saffron City
Custom Title: Krazy Kat

Post by Kikyo »

Awww, they're so cute!
My badge seems a bit complicated, though.
How about using a yin-yang sign or something (teamwork badge)?
Anyway, they're awesome.
I sure hope they go into the RPG!
Image Image

Shrine Sprite
Saffron City
Saffron City

Post by Shrine Sprite »

Uh. We [at least I'm 90% sure you were there] chose the badge. <_<

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

yeah, i only made the badge - it was one of you who desgined it. besides, ying-yang has already been used for the purity badge

Kikyo
Saffron City
Saffron City

Post by Kikyo »

Oh. Well, is it okay if I design a better one then?
Image Image

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Bumping for new content...

Been working on upgrading to D/P trainer sprites - the colour scheme, shading and overal quality of the sprites are different from the GBA sprites used above, though as i'm finding, editing isnt as different as i first thought it might be.

First up, Pikachu3828 asked me to make a sprite that looked comanding and could incorporate some of his favorite pokemon. I only managed to incorporate one of them into the trainer sprite itself... see if you can guess which one:

Next i did a new version of my sprite... nothing complicated, just a reinvention of the old sprite (despite somebody else's statment upon seeing this, the matrix was not actually an insperation)

Lastly (for the moment) a conversation in our IRC room turned to the 5th generation games. Tatsu (Robert on these forums) asked that if/when there is a 5th gen, who would the Professor be. I said that they should go crazy and have a female Professor named Juniper (which does follow the trend of naming after a tree) - thanks to his assistance with the design, i present Professor Juniper:

thoughts, comments, and even suggestions at other designs are welcome... especially since i can't think up designs by myself. So unless I get some insperation, i wont be able to make any more

Shrine Sprite
Saffron City
Saffron City

Post by Shrine Sprite »

Those more recent sprites are impressive... it looks like you've improved a bit.

Kikyo
Saffron City
Saffron City

Post by Kikyo »

Oooh! Is that first one a Zangoose trainer?

And, try making a gothic one. That'd be cool.
Image Image

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

Kikyo wrote:And, try making a gothic one. That'd be cool.
I believe the AnnekaLily trainer in his original post is based on a gothic design.

Favourites: :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Zangoose: :Drapion: Image

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Ok, here's an update with a lot of new content. First, the 4 trainer sprites from a forum competition run a few months ago:

Haru Totestu
Nianque
Ryan659
Tatsu

Ok, now for the really new stuff. Today I wanted to do some spriting, so I figured i'd start making 4th Gen sprites based off the 3rd Gen Gym Leader Competition sprites (in the first post of this topic). At the same time I decided to experiment editing the Vs Screen images found in Platinum and HG/SS. The format for the following pictures are Vs Screen, Old 3rd Gen Sprite, New 4th Gen sprite. With the exception of one of these, both the Vs and the 4th Gen sprite were created today. The 3rd Gen sprite was in the picture for reference while editing and was easier leaving it there than removing it.

First up, a sprite I'd wanted to update ever since I first saw the HG/SS trainer Sprite sheet - my personal favorite from the 3rd Gen set, based on Pikapower06:

Then I decided to make a Vs Sprite for my personal Trainer Sprite (the only one of this set I didnt create the 4th gen sprite today)

Then I went about working on AnnekaLily's, although it still looks a little plain to me for some reason, I'm not quite sure how to fix it:

This one based on Shrine_Sprite and Kikyo was a challenge to do, as none of the Vs pictures are 2 people in the one picture (apart from one of the battle frontier poeple, but that one was really unsuitble):

Lastly, another personal favorite from the 3rd Gen set, as it turned out far better than I was expecting. I was hoping to make it as good, and I think I might have just done it:

EDIT: New one just done, the last of my 'ultimate favorites list' from the 3rd Gen sprites, here's Seavicky:

Might be doing more of these soon - but any thoughts or ideas is always appreciated

Kikyo
Saffron City
Saffron City

Post by Kikyo »

Yes, I know, super-large bump and whatnot.

Anyway, I just now saw the last few, and they look really impressive!
The ones for sprite and I really fit us well, I must say.
I really like the one for AnnekaLily's, as well.
Image Image