Defining a legendary Pokémon

Talk about any of the Pokémon video games outside of those with their own forums.

Moderator: Forum staff

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Defining a legendary Pokémon

Post by Pikachu3828 »

I was speaking to some fellow webmasters not so long ago complaining about how Ruby/Sapphire had too many legendaries. Some disagreed and I decided to list them all. In the list I included Lati*s which sparked some controversy, some saying they were not legendaries at all and some calling them semi-legendary. This sparked an interesting conversation as to just how you define a legendary Pokémon; often there is no mention of "legendary" in their Pokédex flavours.

This also leads on to the Pokémon demi-gods (what I call the semi-legendaries, after the Greek heroes who were greater than humans but lower than the gods) such as Metagross. Why class Metagross as a demi-god? If because it is stronger than most Pokémon, surely Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence etc must also be included in the list. If because it is one-of-a-kind, then surely we must also include Castform. It further complicates things if legendaries are defined as the one-of-a-kind Pokémon as that would include the demi-gods, though they are widely regarded as not legendary.

How would you define a legendary and which Pokémon, in your opinion, are legendary?
Last edited by Pikachu3828 on Sat 19 May, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Favourites: :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Zangoose: :Drapion: Image

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Custom Title: The Dark Trainer
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 438184851741

Post by WhoKnows_WhoCares »

In my opinion (and it is clearly that) there are two factors that decide legendary status.

The first is the 'only one' per game rule, which states that you can only get one per game and you can not catch another without trading. Since this adds pokemon like Castform and eevee to the list, the second factor is breeding. If it can not breed with anything, including ditto, then there is no chance of obtaining a second one of that pokemon without trading.

When both factors apply to a pokemon, then I class it as legendary.
Member of the Umbreon Club - PM pikapower06 to Join.

Thanks to miradapurple for creating my cool avatar.

Pokémon Pearl FC: Ace/4381 8485 1741

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

So by your system, Lati*s are legendary?

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

yes... i'd define the lati*s as legendarys

TaylorGS
Got Marsh Badge!
Got Marsh Badge!

Post by TaylorGS »

WhoKnows_WhoCares wrote:The first is the 'only one' per game rule, which states that you can only get one per game and you can not catch another without trading. Since this adds pokemon like Castform and eevee to the list, the second factor is breeding. If it can not breed with anything, including ditto, then there is no chance of obtaining a second one of that pokemon without trading.
Mmm... My thoughts exactly. @_@;

The two only Pokémon I really have considered "semi-legendaries" are Slaking and Blissey... Super high HP, and I can't get them to go down in one hit. (usually, they cause my losses in the Battle Frontier in Emerald. @_@; )
Last edited by TaylorGS on Tue 01 Aug, 2006 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I drop by every now and then... I shall never be just a memory! *cackles*
... Not back to the regularly scheduled thread... ^^;

Zapdos-Knight
Pewter City

Post by Zapdos-Knight »

I agree wholeheartedly with (who knows who cares). A legendary is one of a kind and cannot breed.

Up till G/S came out, I would have also said legendaries are static on the map, but the legendary dogs changed that. It's an interesting concept, legendary pokémon...did Nintendo or gamefreak even have a role in creating this term? Or is it purely a fan made term?

I wonder...
Life's short enough-

Save often!

Secreyes
Vermilion City
Vermilion City

Post by Secreyes »

WhoKnows_WhoCares wrote:In my opinion (and it is clearly that) there are two factors that decide legendary status.

The first is the 'only one' per game rule, which states that you can only get one per game and you can not catch another without trading. Since this adds pokemon like Castform and eevee to the list, the second factor is breeding. If it can not breed with anything, including ditto, then there is no chance of obtaining a second one of that pokemon without trading.

When both factors apply to a pokemon, then I class it as legendary.
Bravo, Bravo!!!
Secreyes... Kindrindra's final form...
My fav webs:
The pika club:[Alredy here!] dmw''s RPG:http://s13.invisionfree.com/Pokemon_Kan ... hp?act=idx
My Fave Poke''s!: Umbreon!!! :Umbreon: Togetic!!! :Togetic: (Maybe Pika... :Pikachu: )

Myuuzard
Cerulean City
Cerulean City

Post by Myuuzard »

I think lati@s are legendaries because they were in the movie 5.In every movies there is or are legendary pokemon as heroes.
[align=center]Image[/align]

miradapurple
Indigo Plateau
Indigo Plateau

Post by miradapurple »

My classification of Legendaries:

1. They are nomally ancient
2. Normally phychic
3. don't have genders

(note: In pokemon diamond and pearl, luicaro has a gender. I noticed that yes, like Pikachu3828 said, legendaries could now have genders and perhaps luicaro is not a legendary, but say that the first one was true. that would mean that you can breed legendaires!)
I like fruit-flavored tea. : )

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

miradapurple wrote:My classification of Legendaries:

1. They are nomally ancient
2. Normally phychic
3. don't have genders

(note: In pokemon diamond and pearl, luicaro has a gender. I noticed that yes, like Pikachu3828 said, legendaries could now have genders and perhaps luicaro is not a legendary, but say that the first one was true. that would mean that you can breed legendaires!)
Throwing a spanner in the works, Having, or not having, a gender doesnt actually define what can and can't be bred. Strange I know, but here's some proof.

Latias/Latios and Nidoqueen have genders, yet can not breed with anything (including dito) - while Nidoran(f) can breed, it's two evolved states cannot, yet they still have genders.

Both Baltoy/Claydol and Beldum/Metang/Metagross dont have genders, but can breed (with dito only).

So as you see, having a gender doesnt mean you will be able to breed.

Oh and speaking of Baltoy/Claydol, using your 3 clasifications, it makes Baltoy/Claydol legendarys... as they're 20, 000 years old (acoding to Claydol's Saphire pokedex entry), part psychic and dont have genders.

Shrine Sprite
Saffron City
Saffron City
Custom Title: Delinquent

Post by Shrine Sprite »

I think the release of Diamond and Pearl have butchered the definition of legendaries. Now they can bread and come in both genders.
I do not consider Rotom, Manaphy, Phione, and Heatran legendaries for that reason.
Actually, I've never considered anything besides the pokemon on the cover and the 'trio' of the generation legendary. The specials only obtained through events (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus) are 'special' legendaries. The rest (Latios, Latias, Cresselia), I suppose are what I'd consider semi-legendaries.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'd consider Manaphy a legendary, since while it can breed, it doesnt breed itself or a pre-evolved version of itself which you can then evolve and get a second Manaphy.

As long as you can't get a second on in anyway way without trading or chearting (so as long as you can't catch a second or breed a second/pre-evo that you can evolve for a second), i'd say it was a legendary. So i wouldnt consider Rotom or Phione legendary since they can breed other versions of themselves.

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

Shrine Sprite wrote:.
Actually, I've never considered anything besides the pokemon on the cover and the 'trio' of the generation legendary.
Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur and Pikachu are legendary?

zen
Indigo Plateau
Indigo Plateau

Post by zen »

I actually think that each pokemon could have pages of discussion deciding if it's legendary or not...

My classification for legendaries:

1. Cannot breed.

2. Has a sprite you can talk to before battiling them.

3. Does not belong in a trio.

Yes that includes Lati@s, you can find their sprites on Southern Island. I also consider the trios only "SemiLegendary" because that's what they'd be in battle.
ImageImage
Bio is incredible:http://www.studiodaily.com/main/techniq ... /6850.html

The universe is not indifferent to intelligence, it is actively hostile to it.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

So niether the bird trio from kanto, the dog trio from jhoto, the regi trio from hoenn and the psychic trio from sinnoh are legendary by your definition?

Strange since they all meet the first two conditions of your definitions/