Is Phione a Legendary Pokemon

For Pokémon discussion that doesn't quite fit into any of the other forums.

Moderator: Forum staff

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 16

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Custom Title: The Dark Trainer
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 438184851741

Post by WhoKnows_WhoCares »

So i'm making some new videos for VideoJug (which will be posted in the videos section this time when their up... promise)

Anyway, one of the videos is about Legendary pokemon and looking into it, Phione's legendary status is actually in question. So I wondered what you lot thought about it

Case for Legendary status:
It's only obtained when you have another Legedary Pokemon, One which is obtained via an event (meaning it requires an event to get it)
It's banned from all the battle subway challenges, which apart from an egg, only legendary pokemon are fully banned from

Case Against Legendary
No Legendary Pokemon breeds itself or a pre-evolved form that evoles into it, Phione does breed itself
Its base stats are far below other legendary pokemon

Any more arguments for or against would be apreciated, and dont forget to cast your vote and let me know what you think
Member of the Umbreon Club - PM pikapower06 to Join.

Thanks to miradapurple for creating my cool avatar.

Pokémon Pearl FC: Ace/4381 8485 1741

November
Viridian Forest
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Re: Is Phione a Legendary Pokemon

Post by November »

Hm. I have always associated with it being a Legendary Pokemon, but now that I think about it, I'm not too sure. I would personally title it a true 'pseudo-legendary' pokemon - not because of its stats, like for the other pseudo-legendary pokemon, but because it's a true mix between the legendaries and the normal pokemon.
If I had to say one or the other, I would classify it as a legendary, as it seems to have all of the 'functioning' traits that legendaries have (such as being banned from the Battle Frontier, the Battle Subway, etc.). Also, in order to get it, you will need a Manaphy - it is impossible to get it from any other source (other than other Phione, but even they have to have roots back to a Manaphy). However, official sources have even given out conflicting information, so you could go either way.
For the purpose of your video, you might as well include it (as it could be part of either class) and put a footnote or mention that its status as a legendary pokemon is in question.

Currently need: Nothing c;
Currently need to see: Nothing

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

It depends how you class legendary. I guess the two criterion often used are stats and exclusivity. Personally I disagree with using stats and the whole 'pseduo-legendary' classification, as I simply think they are strong Pokémon and legendary Pokémon are often (but not always, as in Phione's case) strong.

Rather I rank legendary Pokémon by availability and although Phione can breed I think it meets that criteria as it requires you having Manaphy, a legendary Pokémon, in order to obtain it.

Favourites: :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Zangoose: :Drapion: Image

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Pikachu3828 wrote:It depends how you class legendary.
yeah, well that's become another problem entirly with this video - there is no absolute rule on what a legendary is... and every rule i have is broken by at least one legendary...

On another side note - you'd be suprised by the number of legendary pokemon there is, and maybe even which generation had the most legendaries introduced into it

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

WhoKnows_WhoCares wrote: you'd be suprised by the number of legendary pokemon there is, and maybe even which generation had the most legendaries introduced into it
Not really, I'm a vocal critic of the sheer volume of legendary Pokémon in existence. There are far too many.

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

i meant people in general, not just yourself - still, the exact number suprised even me...

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

Oh sorry haha I thought you were specifically talking to me. I thought it odd since I knew I'd mentioned I thought there were too many legendaries to you before :-P

pikapower06
Indigo Plateau
Indigo Plateau

Post by pikapower06 »

Pikachu3828 wrote:I think it meets that criteria as it requires you having Manaphy, a legendary Pokémon, in order to obtain it.

This. Plus, most of the sites I use to keep myself updated on Pokemon informed me that it was a Legendary. I had no clue that it's staus was up for debate. XD

The best you can do to keep a purely unbiased video, you would just inform them of the swaying sides. People listening in can get an insight of what usually makes a Legendary, and why it may or may not be a Legendary. When you aren't subjecting yourself to one party, both parties may in fact listen to you. :)
Pokemon -- Roleplaying -- Fun!
Come start your journey today!
It's fun, AND we're active!