Article #7: Blastoise d (CG)

Featured Card is an exclusive The Pika Club feature run by Raikou Trainer. Each article takes a card from the Pokémon TCG and is reviewed and rated. Users may reply to existing topics but not create new ones.
Raikou Trainer
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Article #7: Blastoise d (CG)

Post by Raikou Trainer »

This was originally written in mid-late 2006, so combos, ratings, etc. will be outdated.

Name: Blastoise (d)

Type: Fighting/Metal

HP: 110

Stage 2 (evolves from Wartortle)

Poke-Body: Shield Veil

Each of your Active Pokemon has no Weakness.

(FC) Enraged Linear Attack
Choose 1 of your opponent's Pokemon. This attack does 10 damage for each damage counter on Blastoise to that Pokemon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

(MCC) Skull Bash 60

Weakness: Lightning

Resistance: None

Retreat: (CCC)

Analysis

HP: 110 is great for a Stage 2. Since Blastoise is part Metal, Metal Energy can help stretch out its HP longer. If you have another Blastoise on your Bench, then use Energy Root to increase its HP to 130.

Evolves from Wartortle: In Modified there are only two Squirtle and two Wartortle cards available, and they're all in Crystal Guardians. I'd recommend using Squirtle (#64) and Wartortle (#43) since they both have attacks that don't require any specific Energy.

Weakness: Lightning Pokemon aren't very widely used, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are concerned about it, just having Blastoise out negates the Weakness.

Resistance: None this time, so we'll just move on.

Retreat: One word: Switch! That's the route I would go.

Poke-Body: The interesting thing about this Poke-Body is that it also negates the Weakness of Pokemon ex! If you like using Pokemon ex, Blastoise will really help them out!

Enraged Linear Attack: This attack is really awesome for the amount of damage it can do for two Energy! There's a possibility of 100 damage being dealt to ANY Pokemon on your opponent's field with no discards! If you have Energy Root attached, then this attack can do 120 damage, which is able to KO just about any non-ex Pokemon! Perfect for if your opponent has a Pokemon on their Bench that is used for support only. (Roselia from LM quickly comes to mind)

Skull Bash: Only use this attack if you don't have enough damage built up on Blastoise to use ELA effectively. The cost is perfect for the 60 damage you'll deal, though.

Ratings

Unlimited: Most of the popular Pokemon in this format only have 70 HP, so Blastoise should be able to take care of them rather quickly. 7/10

Modified: On September 1st, Modified will be changing to from Hidden Legendss-on to Deoxys-on. Since there haven't been any really good decks out for the new format yet, I can't really give a fair rating for Blastoise at this time.

Limited: Healing/huge damage is rare in this format, so Blastoise would be perfect to use in this format. 9/10

Conclusion

Blastoise is easily one of the best cards in Crystal Guardians. Give it a try- you won't be disappointed!