Official "Longest Thread Ever" topic

Discuss all sorts of manner regarding the latest TV/games/music etc news. Pokémon chat goes in either Pokémon forums.

Moderator: Forum staff

pikalover1234
Vermilion City
Vermilion City
Custom Title: Oh Noes. Sorry.
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 287870574463

Re: Official "Longest Thread Ever" topic

Post by pikalover1234 »

cheerio495 wrote:
Shiny Star wrote:How are you guys? What's your favourite subject at school?
Good how are you?, This semester it has to be Organic Chemistry. What's yours?
Maybe Physics. I know that questions wasn't to me, but I couldn't resist. :lol:
Former Pika Club regular, now life's caught up and things got complicated.

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Post by cheerio495 »

I get to take physics this up coming semester, hopfully I'll like it.
First to have: Ledian, Venomoth, and Persain

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

cheerio495 wrote:I get to take physics this up coming semester, hopfully I'll like it.
What sort of physics? I've never taken it formally but I do consider myself an autodidact in physics; unfortunately this does mean I have more of a linguistic understanding of concepts in physics rather than a perhaps more grounded mathematical understanding. My personal area of interest lies in astronomy.

Favourites: :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Zangoose: :Drapion: Image

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City

Post by cheerio495 »

Pikachu3828 wrote: What sort of physics? I've never taken it formally but I do consider myself an autodidact in physics; unfortunately this does mean I have more of a linguistic understanding of concepts in physics rather than a perhaps more grounded mathematical understanding. My personal area of interest lies in astronomy.
Before I changed my major to chemistry my major was physics emphasis astronomy. The description of the class says it will have a calculus treatment.

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

We sound like we've got very similar interests :) What made you change majors?

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City

Post by cheerio495 »

Pikachu3828 wrote:We sound like we've got very similar interests :) What made you change majors?
What I really wanted to major in was just astronomy which my college didn't offer only physics with an emphasis in astronomy and I really don't like physics that much.

Pikachu90000
Pokémon master
Pokémon master
Location: The People's Democratic Sovereign Elitist Commonwealth of the Union of Cascadia

Post by Pikachu90000 »

Speaking of physics... I'm taking physics in summer school starting next week. Yay! :mrgreen:
Have questions regarding about The Pika Club? The Pika Club Guide and FAQ

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

Pikachu90000 wrote:Speaking of physics... I'm taking physics in summer school starting next week. Yay! :mrgreen:
I never quite understood what summer school is. I'm not even sure if we have them over here. So are high schools open during the summer for extra classes? Do you have exams and get qualifications in summer school or is it just for extra learning?

Pikachu90000
Pokémon master
Pokémon master
Location: The People's Democratic Sovereign Elitist Commonwealth of the Union of Cascadia

Post by Pikachu90000 »

Pikachu3828 wrote: I never quite understood what summer school is. I'm not even sure if we have them over here. So are high schools open during the summer for extra classes? Do you have exams and get qualifications in summer school or is it just for extra learning?
Over here, it's essentially cramming a year's worth of work over a period of 6 weeks and you get the same amount of credits if you were doing it in regular school. The teaching goes by pretty fast and there are tests every few days or so, and most of the things you need to know are covered. There are only a few high schools open for summer school and the only mandatory exams are the ones prescribed by the government.

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

Pikachu90000 wrote:Over here, it's essentially cramming a year's worth of work over a period of 6 weeks and you get the same amount of credits if you were doing it in regular school. The teaching goes by pretty fast and there are tests every few days or so, and most of the things you need to know are covered. There are only a few high schools open for summer school and the only mandatory exams are the ones prescribed by the government.
So what is this credit system all about? We have it at university level over here but not lower to my knowledge.

It is my understanding that you need a certain amount of credits from passed classes to graduate high school. Does this mean then that you could just do summer school instead of high school throughout the year if you get the same amount of credits for it? Or is it the case that you want to get the most credits possible to get into a good college/university?

Pikachu90000
Pokémon master
Pokémon master

Post by Pikachu90000 »

Pikachu3828 wrote:So what is this credit system all about? We have it at university level over here but not lower to my knowledge.

It is my understanding that you need a certain amount of credits from passed classes to graduate high school. Does this mean then that you could just do summer school instead of high school throughout the year if you get the same amount of credits for it? Or is it the case that you want to get the most credits possible to get into a good college/university?
You can only do a maximum of three or four (can't remember from the top of my head) summer school courses a year, so it would be impossible to pass high school by doing everything in summer school. There's a minimum of 80 credits that you need to pass for high school, and you get four credits for each passed course. There are some courses that are mandatory, such as English up to Grade 12 and Math up to Grade 11.

Universities usually look at the marks (not credits) on the provincial transcripts, and some universities accept students on their IB scores. Having more credits does not necessarily mean a higher chance of admission.

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City

Post by cheerio495 »

Pikachu90000 wrote: You can only do a maximum of three or four (can't remember from the top of my head) summer school courses a year, so it would be impossible to pass high school by doing everything in summer school. There's a minimum of 80 credits that you need to pass for high school, and you get four credits for each passed course. There are some courses that are mandatory, such as English up to Grade 12 and Math up to Grade 11.

Universities usually look at the marks (not credits) on the provincial transcripts, and some universities accept students on their IB scores. Having more credits does not necessarily mean a higher chance of admission.
Your school works much differently than mine. Summer school (for high school not college) is only for those who have fail a class during the regular school year and most high schools only need 24-26 credits in order to graduate (.5 credit per class, per semester).

Pikachu90000
Pokémon master
Pokémon master

Post by Pikachu90000 »

cheerio495 wrote: Your school works much differently than mine. Summer school (for high school not college) is only for those who have fail a class during the regular school year and most high schools only need 24-26 credits in order to graduate (.5 credit per class, per semester).
The joys of living in Canada, I suppose, but the requirements vary from province to province.

Speaking of which, today is Canada's 144th birthday. Here's a great animated montage of Canada (going from west to east, i.e. British Columbia to Newfoundland) courtesy of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

cheerio495
Fuschia City
Fuschia City

Post by cheerio495 »

Pikachu90000 wrote:
cheerio495 wrote: Your school works much differently than mine. Summer school (for high school not college) is only for those who have fail a class during the regular school year and most high schools only need 24-26 credits in order to graduate (.5 credit per class, per semester).
The joys of living in Canada, I suppose, but the requirements vary from province to province.

Speaking of which, today is Canada's 144th birthday. Here's a great animated montage of Canada (going from west to east, i.e. British Columbia to Newfoundland) courtesy of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
Happy Birthday Canada... and a Happy Birthday to America as well. :)

chloe01
First Pokémon!

Re:

Post by chloe01 »

Pikachu90000 wrote:I usually have a simple breakfast, if I don't have anything to eat, my stomach starts to hurt after 11 AM.
well same here buddy..